A Banner day
bullshark
2003-11-09 16:10:01 UTC
We were invaded. Not one, but five divers from the dark side.

Two had the biggest spearguns I've ever seen. Five feet long
and four banded. All the rest carried spearguns as well.

One brought two sets of doubles on board. I was gratified to learn
that correct technique for carrying doubles is to grab both ends
and hold the manifold right under your chin with elbows high.

One was sporting DIN valve 8" jesus-jugs with cave fills. I was too
honored for words when he decided my foot was the best place to
rest one of them. I also learned that 8" jesus jugs are carried
on the shoulder, especially when boarding the boat.

Three of them carried HID. I can't say what the burn times were
but the size of the canisters reassured me that the boat would
have no difficulty starting engines in the event that the 8Ds failed.

Nine O'clock departure time came and went as we watched one of them
(who arrived at eight thirty), stand by his car talking on a cell phone
while his wife stood by talking on another cell phone as he carefully
assembled his gear. Gear that would not be on the boat for another
fifteen minutes. It's important to set it up right.

Dive time finally arrives and we learn all kinds of new entry
techniques. Face first seems to be popular with the big guns,
while baby strides that tap the platform with the tank, coming
in a close second.

Effective weight distribution is no problem. We see one of them
hitch up the all-neoprene-multi-pocket-crotch-strap-captive belt
to a point just below his sternum and cinch it up tight. This
guy is a serious hunter. He sports a blue on blue camo wetsuit
so the fish will never see him coming.

Pointing to an all-purpose folding hex-key set with a first stage
port plug on the deck, I ask: "Is that a problem?"

One of the big guns waiting to enter the water is handed a spool he
left behind. He slides it under the palm of the hand holding the
monster gun. Good call. You don't want too much stuff on yer D-Rings.

Two of the divers about to enter look like they are going to vapor
lock. Hyperventilating, their faces are locked in a grimace of firm
determination to overcome their obstacle. My rescue training tells
me to intervene, but the sight of those long hoses and practiced
OOA skills supersedes my gut feeling.

When we got back on the boat, all the divers were there. That was
a relief. We overheard firm reassurances:
"Nah you don't need a computer. I do it all in my head."
"Once you get your tech I it's all second nature."
"30 fpm to the first stop. Stay 20 seconds, then 20 seconds for
the next ten feet. Stop for 20 seconds. Then just repeat that
until you get to 20 feet."

One of the spear-sissies got a nice Hog. Rather than dispatch
it, he just poked it in the eye with the steel catch loop, poking
it out the other side. A half our later, the fish was still alive.
It's a pity that his "distressed-fish-shark-troller" failed to
attract our resident bull. I know he wanted to kill something
really big.

The hog was proudly displayed on the centerline mat, so we just
stepped over it to get to the second dive. When we got back they
were all on board again except for one, so I have great faith now
in their decompression planning. The odd man out was found by his
lift bag.

DIR divers are very impressive. The impression is indelible.

safe diving,

bullshark
Alan Street
2003-11-09 17:27:08 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, bullshark
<***@scubadiving.com> wrote:

€
€
€The hog was proudly displayed on the centerline mat, so we just
€stepped over it to get to the second dive. When we got back they
€were all on board again except for one, so I have great faith now
€in their decompression planning. The odd man out was found by his
€lift bag.
€
€DIR divers are very impressive. The impression is indelible.
€
€safe diving,
€
€bullshark
€

Nice story. It sounds like the Pony Boys have been reincarnated as GUE
grads.

Alan
mike gray, CID
2003-11-09 17:32:11 UTC
bullshark wrote:

(snip)

Just proves there's a very fine line between recreational scuba and
entertainment scuba.
suds
2003-11-09 17:49:44 UTC
Post by bullshark
We were invaded. Not one, but five divers from the dark side.
<snip>

Come on, you sound like Bush claiming Saddam is al-Qaida. These guys
weren't DIR. "Blue camo wetsuit?" Since when is any other color than black
permitted? "Hyperventilating?" Doesn't sound like they were in good shape.

If you don't want 'em on your boat, do what we do out here: spear fishing is
only permitted when free diving. That takes care of the safety issues too.
LOL

suds
Jon C
2003-11-09 17:49:35 UTC
blah blah
Might be GUE grads, if you say so, but they're not DIR. There is a
difference.
Lee Bell
2003-11-09 20:12:25 UTC
Post by Jon C
blah blah
Might be GUE grads, if you say so, but they're not DIR. There is a
difference.
You were there? If not, what makes you think your guess is better than
bullshark's observation?
Jon C
bullshark's observation?
Lee Bell
2003-11-09 22:29:59 UTC
Post by Jon C
Improper entries, spears, wetsuit with steel tanks, holding spools in your
hand for storage, improper carrying of doubles. That's not DIR, that much
is obvious ;)
Only if you assume that all DIR divers are DIR all the time. I imagine that
part of bullshark's point is that they aren't. He and I have both seen DIR
divers doing some very non DIR stuff. Quite often, it's a case of do as I
say, not as I do . . . or, perhaps, because somebody that is DIR thought of
it, it's fine. When somebody else came up with it, it's crap.

Lee
Dennis (Icarus)
2003-11-09 22:42:24 UTC
Post by Lee Bell
Post by Jon C
Improper entries, spears, wetsuit with steel tanks, holding spools in your
hand for storage, improper carrying of doubles. That's not DIR, that much
is obvious ;)
Only if you assume that all DIR divers are DIR all the time. I imagine that
part of bullshark's point is that they aren't. He and I have both seen DIR
divers doing some very non DIR stuff. Quite often, it's a case of do as I
say, not as I do . . . or, perhaps, because somebody that is DIR thought of
it, it's fine. When somebody else came up with it, it's crap.
I thought that if you were DIR, then you're a DIR diver. If you're doing
something non-DIR, then you aren't a DIR diver - no matter what they claim
they are, no matter how much Halcyon gear they have, no matter how many
classes they've taken from MHK or GUE. :-)

Dennis
Lee
John Francis CID
2003-11-10 01:49:01 UTC
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:42:24 -0600, "Dennis \(Icarus\)"
Post by Dennis (Icarus)
I thought that if you were DIR, then you're a DIR diver. If you're doing
something non-DIR, then you aren't a DIR diver - no matter what they claim
they are, no matter how much Halcyon gear they have, no matter how many
classes they've taken from MHK or GUE. :-)
There are dangers in dealing in absolutes.

JF
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word."
- Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)
Lee Bell
2003-11-10 02:13:59 UTC
Post by Dennis (Icarus)
I thought that if you were DIR, then you're a DIR diver. If you're doing
something non-DIR, then you aren't a DIR diver - no matter what they claim
they are, no matter how much Halcyon gear they have, no matter how many
classes they've taken from MHK or GUE. :-)
That's a rather convenient way to ensure your organization is never wrong.
Lucky for all of us, there are those that won't let something like this
slide. You can't claim to have the best answer for all diving, in all
conditions, and all situations, and then claim that when you screwed up you
weren't being DIR that day.

Lee
Dennis (Icarus)
2003-11-10 02:57:07 UTC
Post by Lee Bell
Post by Dennis (Icarus)
I thought that if you were DIR, then you're a DIR diver. If you're doing
something non-DIR, then you aren't a DIR diver - no matter what they claim
they are, no matter how much Halcyon gear they have, no matter how many
classes they've taken from MHK or GUE. :-)
That's a rather convenient way to ensure your organization is never wrong.
Lucky for all of us, there are those that won't let something like this
slide. You can't claim to have the best answer for all diving, in all
conditions, and all situations, and then claim that when you screwed up you
weren't being DIR that day.
More like pointing out that ones claims have to match ones actions.
One can say they're X, but I fgure actions would be much more appropriate.

Dennis
Lee
suds
BINGO!!!!!
Drew A. Dunn
Morons are everywhere. You found some that fly the DIR flag, so what?
Lee Bell
2003-11-10 03:59:04 UTC
Post by Drew A. Dunn
Post by Lee Bell
Post by Jon C
Improper entries, spears, wetsuit with steel tanks, holding spools in your
hand for storage, improper carrying of doubles. That's not DIR, that much
is obvious ;)
Only if you assume that all DIR divers are DIR all the time. I imagine that
part of bullshark's point is that they aren't. He and I have both seen DIR
divers doing some very non DIR stuff. Quite often, it's a case of do as I
say, not as I do . . . or, perhaps, because somebody that is DIR thought of
it, it's fine. When somebody else came up with it, it's crap.
Morons are everywhere. You found some that fly the DIR flag, so what?
So statements by those who were not there, about whether the described
divers were DIR or not, have no significance.
Drew A. Dunn
2003-11-10 03:37:19 UTC
Post by Lee Bell
Post by Drew A. Dunn
Morons are everywhere. You found some that fly the DIR flag, so what?
So statements by those who were not there, about whether the described
divers were DIR or not, have no significance.
Bullshark run across some bad divers. He recounted the story in witter
manner and I got a few laughs out of it. Personally, that's where my
concern ends.
Jon C
2003-11-10 05:34:03 UTC
Post by Lee Bell
Post by Jon C
Improper entries, spears, wetsuit with steel tanks, holding spools in your
hand for storage, improper carrying of doubles. That's not DIR, that much
is obvious ;)
Only if you assume that all DIR divers are DIR all the time. I imagine that
part of bullshark's point is that they aren't. He and I have both seen DIR
divers doing some very non DIR stuff. Quite often, it's a case of do as I
say, not as I do . . . or, perhaps, because somebody that is DIR thought of
it, it's fine. When somebody else came up with it, it's crap.
Lee
He said they were DIR divers, which they were not. He used this impression
to make a blanket statement about DIR divers in general, which is based on
the fact that he thought these divers were DIR, which they were not, by
definition.
bullshark
2003-11-10 14:27:24 UTC
Post by Jon C
He said they were DIR divers, which they were not. He used this impression
to make a blanket statement about DIR divers in general, which is based on
the fact that he thought these divers were DIR, which they were not, by
definition.
As to "facts about what I thought", forgive me, but you have no clue.
I reported observations, not thoughts.
As to whether or not these divers were DIR, you cannot say.
You weren't there, you saw nothing and most importantly you did not ask
the divers what *they* thought the answer was.

It is not I who established the gang colors.

"Buy a Beamer and drive like this..."
"Clothes make the man..."
(and my favorite quote from my favorite B-Law Prof)
"It's a thin piece of paper that doesn't have two sides."

safe diving,

bullshark
Chandler
2003-11-10 13:30:12 UTC
Post by Lee Bell
Post by Jon C
Improper entries, spears, wetsuit with steel tanks, holding spools in your
hand for storage, improper carrying of doubles. That's not DIR, that much
is obvious ;)
Only if you assume that all DIR divers are DIR all the time. I imagine that
part of bullshark's point is that they aren't. He and I have both seen DIR
divers doing some very non DIR stuff. Quite often, it's a case of do as I
say, not as I do . . . or, perhaps, because somebody that is DIR thought of
it, it's fine. When somebody else came up with it, it's crap.
Lee
maybe their GUE card expired so they didn't have to be DIR anymore
--
--Chandler --
May Hog be your boatman when you reach the River Styx
Limey Dave
2003-11-10 17:21:52 UTC
Post by bullshark
DIR divers are very impressive. The impression is indelible.
Beautiful!
I just pee'd all over my neoprene cammy house slippers.

Dave.